|Point Wilson Light Station, 1907|
The top postcard is signed by author,
James G. McCurdy.
Postcards from the archives of S.P.H.S.©
For over thirty years seafarers had been navigating their vessels past this obstacle without a lighthouse or a fog signal to aid them. But in 1879 as a result of continued pressure, the lighthouse department erected a beacon at the tip of Point Wilson with a deep-toned whistle to assist in keeping vessels at a safe distance. The first keeper at Point Wilson station was David Littlefield, a Civil War veteran who had arrived at Pt. Townsend at an early date and married Maria, the oldest daughter of the pioneer L. B. Hastings. The couple raised a large family and were residents throughout their long lives.
|Marrowstone Light Station|
Original photo from the archives of the S. P. H. S.©
A lighthouse and fog-signal were established at Marrowstone Point in 1888 to help out the situation, and today if a vessel takes to the beach at the entrance to the Sound, it will not be the fault of the government, but rather that of the person in command of the ship."Text from By Juan de Fuca's Strait by James G. McCurdy. Binford's and Mort, 1937.