With STUBBY working in the San Juan Islands,
Date between 1950 & 1982.
Courtesy of Deer Harbor's Cliff Thompson and
Mark Freeman, Seattle.
In 1982 Stubby was purchased by the Fremont Tugboat Company of Seattle. According to Wooden Boat magazine she was renamed Spanner and added to the company's growing fleet.
Spanner was recaulked, refastened and repowered with a 60-HP Gray Lugger, that turned a 22 x 21" propeller through a 3:1 reduction gear. A new house was installed. Designer for the rebuilding was Lewis B. Nasmyth, mechanical work was done by Bill Francis, and the shipwright was Steve Humphries.
The tug was in dry storage in Anacortes, prior to her recent purchase and a survey revealed that no planking or frames had to be removed because of dry rot, although the rest of the vessel had deteriorated beyond repair. The 24-ft work boat joined five other tugs in the fleet of Fremont Tugboat Company.
Source of text data: Wooden Boat magazine, Jan/Feb 1983.