1:20 PM, 23 May 1948, Bellingham waterfront.
Signed, date & time stamped by the talented brother
photographers Bob and Ira Spring of Seattle, WA.
The brick and stone beauty built in 1892, left of center,
is the Whatcom Museum of History and Art.
Click to enlarge.
Original from the archives of the S.P.H.S.©
A short article in the July issue of Sunset Magazine gives an idea of the enjoyable trip offered. It is signed by someone from Bellingham. The Sunset editor adds a note that "the auto ferry service is that of the Black Ball Line, that publishes an excellent booklet on the San Juan Islands.
The following is the item in Sunset Magazine;
"This trip costs only a dollar. Few tourists know about it, so accommodations are never crowded. The trip is a day's cruise on mail steamer OSAGE, that leaves Bellingham, WA, every weekday morning and cruises among the San Juan Islands. The boat touches at many barnacle-covered wharves during the day's trip, unloading mail and supplies to islanders who would be entirely isolated but for the steamer's call. Everywhere on the trip are wonderful vistas of wooded islands and quiet coves. Snow-capped Mt. Baker looms in the distance. Fish boats, yachts, and freighters bound for Alaska cross the devious path of the OSAGE."
Text from the Orcas Islander, 7 August 1941.
A post on this Log with more about Charles Maxwell and the San Juan Transportation Co can be viewed here