"Of all national assets, archives are the most precious:
they are the gift of one generation to another,
and the extent of our care of them marks the
extent of our civilization." Arthur Doughty.

About Us

My photo
San Juan Islands, Washington State, United States
A society formed in 2009 for the purpose of collecting, preserving, celebrating, and disseminating the maritime history of the San Juan Islands and northern Puget Sound area. Check this log for tales from out-of-print publications as well as from members and friends. There are circa 500, often long entries, on a broad range of maritime topics; there are search aids at the bottom of the log. Please ask for permission to use any photo posted on this site. Thank you.

01 January 2016

❖ WRECKS ❖ SHIPS E-F (5) ❖

Wrecks Log E-F (5)
Work in progress.

ON 136858
Owned by Alaska Steamship Co.
276.4' x 37.3' x 27.4'.
2,369 G.t./1,495 N.t.
Blt. 1882, England.
Capt. C. B. McMullen 
Wrecked 29 Aug 1915
Crew saved.
Photographs by John E. Thwaites.

From the archives of the S.P.H.S.©
Capt. Guyan March
Lost: All hands (31)
27 October 1998
Off the coast of Honduras

Leaving Seattle, 1953.
"On October 27, 1998, the luxury sailing vessel FANTOME was caught off the coast of Honduras by Hurricane Mitch and perished with her crew of 31, having previously disembarked her passengers. Originally a British yacht, the FANTOME was stranded in Seattle by the outbreak of World War II in 1939, and spent the next 14 years at anchor in Lake Union and Portage Bay.
      The SV FANTOME was a steel-hulled sailing yacht built for Great Britain’s Duke of Westminster in 1927, and later acquired by beer baron Ernest Guinness. She sailed into Seattle in 1939 and became stranded by the outbreak of World War II. After the war, King County blocked her departure in an effort to recover property taxes from Guiness. The vessel ended up resting at anchor in Portage Bay for a total of nearly 14 years.
Seattle, WA.
Original photo from the archives of the S.P.H.S.©

      Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis finally bought her and offered her as a wedding present to Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1956, but the royal couple declined the gift. Briefly renamed FLYING CLOUD, the FANTOME was ultimately acquired by Windjammer Barefoot Cruises in 1969 and converted into a luxury sailing vessel for up to 128 adventurous tourists".
Text only by Walt Crowley, History Link. Seattle, WA., 2003.

ON 120724
158.5' x 33.8' x 18.5'; Blt 1888.
Owned by Northwestern Steamship Co.
Capt. J.C. Hunter
Wrecked 5 Jan. 1910.
By the man that was there,
John E. Thwaites, photographer, mail clerk.

From the archives of the S.P.H.S.©

Coated with ice, like a floating ghost ship, the wreck of the Alaska cargo vessel FARALLON was driven ashore in a heavy snowstorm at Iliamna Bay. She was en route to Dutch Harbor from Valdez when she stranded; the passengers and crew narrowly escaping with their lives, were forced to set up camp on the inhospitable shores to await rescue. The ship was insured for only $70,000.

ON 210192

Built by Wm. H.F. Reed on Decatur Island for Henry Cayou, of Deer Harbor, WA, 1912.
Source: Master Carpenter's Certificate from Bureau of Navigation, NARA.
Wrecked: Near Kodiak, AK. 1960

Loss of Life: Four.
ON 210192
Built on Decatur Island, WA. 1912
Lost 1960
Photo courtesy of Cliff Thompson,
Long time Deer Harborite.

Four fishermen were lost near Kodiak, AK, when the 90-ft fishing boat FEARLESS loaded with king crab sank in mountainous waves and a 65-mile gale.
The four bodies were recovered by the USCG. Debris from the FEARLESS and the dory in which the men tried to escape later washed up on the shore at Cape Chiniak.
One of the men lost was Clyde Welcome, who held the Island mail contract between 1940 and 1948, and captained the WATER BABY.

O.N. 120830
Blt. 1891, Boston
Capt. A. Keegan
Wrecked 1904, Seaview, WA.
Loss of life: two.
Seaview, WA.
"The wrath of a southwest gale was responsible for the loss of the schooner FRANK W. HOWE, en route to San Pedro from Ballard with a cargo of railroad ties in 1904.
      The first news of the HOWE in distress was received at 10 am at the North Head Lighthouse when flares were sighted directly west of the station. Word was relayed to the lifesaving stations, and both the Fort Canby and Klipsan crews were directed to the beach.
      Out beyond the surf a waterlogged schooner moved toward the shore. The surf was too high to launch a boat, and the lifesaving crews patiently waited for the vessel to strike the sands before attempting a rescue. Finally she struck, and immediately two line-throwing guns were set up on the sands. After several futile attempts, three lines hit their mark and a few hours later Captain A. Keegan and six crew members came ashore by breeches buoy.
      'Thank God, it's all over,' choked the ship's master bundling up in a warm blanket and addressing the chief of the lifesaving crew,
      We left Ballard on 12 February, and all went well till the afternoon of Thursday last-- We were off Yaquina Bay, when the vessel suddenly filled. A strong southwest gale was blowing at the time and the seas were mountain high. Since then the schooner had been waterlogged and all that kept it afloat was the cargo in her hold. We had lived in the rigging and on the deck since that time without a wink of sleep and almost nothing to eat. Realizing our desperate condition, I determined to reach the Columbia River or Cape Flattery. Sail was set and we sailed and drifted before the gale until we were off the Columbia River. About 10 am of 22 Feb, the schooner's back broke clear across under the hatch. I could not enter the Columbia, and finding the schooner would weather Cape Disappointment, I headed her for a sandy beach in order to save the lives of the balance of the crew. During the terrible ordeal a Norwegian seaman was swept from the rigging and drowned in the seas, and the cook while taking his trick at the wheel was crushed to death by a massive wall of water that  cleaned the deck. Thank God, 'tis over.'
      The FRANK W. HOWE floated free on the next high tide but drove hard aground again with two bewildered men aboard who had come to look over salvage prospects. It didn't occur to them that they could have made sail and brought the ship into Willapa Harbor for a fat salvage claim. Owned at Boston, the HOWE was valued at $35,000."
Above text from the Pacific Graveyard. James A. Gibbs, Jr. Binfords & Mort, 1950.
In the 1901 US List of Merchant Vessels, the F. W. HOWE was listed with home port of Port Townsend, WA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Archived Log Entries